The Aerial Hoop, also known as Lyra, is a circus apparatus used to perform beautiful movements and shapes in the air. Our Lyras are perfect for everyone from beginners to professionals - they are hollow stainless steel. Our aerial hoops are available in Single Point, Double Point, and Tabless configurations.
Which is better, a Single Point, Double Point, or Tabless hoop?
Whether you select a Single Point, Double Point, or Tabless (zero point) hoop depends on how you are going to use your aerial hoop. Keep in mind:
- Single Point hoops tend to rotate a lot more, they can be rigged in smaller spaces, and there is more open space at the top of the hoop.
- The rotation of Single Point hoops allow for additional moves and the tab provides stability.
- Double Point hoops allow you to perform moves that tip forward and back with a smaller amount of lateral movement (more like a trapeze).
- Double Point hoops generally allow less overall movement. They also allow for an extra range of poses to be performed on the top bar. However, due to the method of rigging, they do take up more vertical space
- Double Point hoops can be rigged from a single point instead of both points, effectively meaning they can act as a Single, or a Double Point hoop!
- Tabless hoops also can be rigged as either a Single or Double Point hoop, and they can be more comfortable in some moves.
- Tabless hoops have the most movement and can be tippier than hoops with tabs.
What is the difference between your grip sizes?
The thickness difference between the two grip sizes of hoops is 9mm. If you are used to practicing on a dance pole or other bar gymnastics equipment, or if you have larger hands, you may have a preference for a wider grip. The 25mm is the industry standard size, and the 34mm is a little thicker.